Well, there are many ways we can increase the level of security on your commercial or domestic property whether it be to bring you inline with insurance specifications or just for your peace of mind.
Firstly we need to make sure that all external doors comply with insurance specifications, So all doors require a 5 lever British standard lock which has the kite mark BS3621:2004. If your door is a u.p.v.c door in most cases you will find that the multi-locking points also comply with insurance specifications.
Secondly, all ground floor windows and accessible windows need to have a key-operated lock of some description. There is a wide range of window locks on the market so choosing the right lock is vital to insure the security of your premises.
Thirdly I would recommend security lighting. This is a great deterrent to burglars if they are highly visible. Security lighting can be fitted to the front and rear of your property and in most cases would require an electrician to hardwire the lights in professionally but there are also battery powered lighting units that don’t require an electrician to fit.
Here are a few lifestyle ideas that may help increase your security at home or at work.
• Leave your external lights on at night. If your neighborhood is badly lit, ask your local authorities to add streetlights or replace existing bulbs with ones of higher wattage. You could also have security lighting fitted which is usually quite cheap and very effective. Also during the winter put internal lighting on a timer so it comes on earlier before you get in from work.
• Invest in security and maintain reliable locks on doors and key operated window locks. Security is not a cost but a saving!
• Trim tall landscaping to the height of your windows. Hedges and other shrubs provide hiding places for would-be burglars.
• Install spy holes with magnifying lenses on your doors. This lets you see who’s at your door – without opening it. Locksmith Local can fit these at a very competitive price.
• Never leave notes on your door. E.G Just popped to the shops! This includes even when you’re at home.
• Mark your valuables with a U.V pen to make it easier for the police to return them to you if they are stolen. Keep a record of marked objects.
• Leave a Television or radio on in your property. To a burglar, it means that someone’s home.
• Close and lock garage doors especially if you have an internal door leading into your home from the garage.
• Park a car on your driveway or get a neighbor to park theirs on it if away on a vacation or overnight stay. To a burglar, they will think someone’s home.
• If you leave a spare key outside, be creative. Burglars routinely check under flowerpots and welcome mats and on window ledges.
• Ask a neighbor to collect newspapers and mail when you’re away or get someone to house sit if you’re away for a long period.
• Team up with your neighbors and form a neighborhood watch program.
• Install an alarm security system. Locksmith local can also supply and fit security alarm systems to suit your needs.
For any other information please don’t hesitate to contact us here at Key n Lock where we are willing to answer any of your security questions.